Tuesday 27 April 2021

Joseph Shepherd- Fitness For Autism

Hey everyone, my name is Joseph Shepherd and I am 22 year old strength athlete from the UK.
I have competed in powerlifting and strongman,
I look forward to contributing content for Fitness for Autism and showing the world that while we may be neurodivergent that doesn't stop us from achieving our goals and chasing our dreams.

I am a 22-year-old autistic athlete. If you knew me growing up the phrase “athlete” is something that you wouldn’t associate with me. My life forever changed when my mum bought me a fifty kg barbell set, I don’t think I’d be where I am today if it were not for this. Due to lifting weights and taking part in sports like rugby and Brazilian Jiu jitsu, I have had many great experiences, ranging from being apart of the discover your gold campaign to starting a university powerlifting club in my second year of university.
If I were to give advice to coaches working with neurodivergent athletes, I would say these two things.

*Be creative – neurodivergent athletes will be different to anyone you have ever worked with. We learn differently and require a different set of skills. BE CREATIVE, why you might be able to teach someone how to deadlift or throw a punch one way, chances are that will be different for the neurodivergent. Get creative and think outside of the box. While at times it may be slightly frustrating, it will be immensely rewarding when it pays off.

*Set no limitations – This me speaking from first-hand experience, the moment you set a limitation of what they are capable of even if it’s just in your mind, they will be able to tell. Encourage them to go as far as they can, and they will surprise you. Growing up I was told I would never ride a bike, swim or be a healthy weight. Now I can ride a bike (just about), swim like a fish and I’m the healthiest I have ever been. The support I’ve received from my mother, powerlifting coach Mark and close friends has helped push me to heights many people would never think possible, all this comes from growing up without any limitations on what I can do.


All the best 
Joseph Shepherd
Fitness For Autism 
(A Division of Fighting For Autism)

No comments:

Post a Comment